Editorial comments concerning the greatest sport on the planet. American style tackle football!

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Brett Favre

OK, where do I start with this one? Brett was a great player who's love for the game of football was evident with his enthusiasm on the field. I feel like he left on the top of his game. Prior to this season I felt his skills had diminished signficantly but this past season he played great and had one of his better years. So to leave the game after a great season and for having played 15 of his 17 years for just one team it is quite remarkable. I'm glad Brett left the game as the starter for the Green Bay packers and not some 2nd string quarterback who should have left the game 4 years prior. But quite frankly I'm also pleased that the soap opera of Brett Favre is over. I grew quite tired of the media pontifications of wether this was Brett's last season or last game. As if he's going to be banished to the shuffle board courts in Palm Beach before he's 39 years old. Gimme a break!

I know Brett had a great career but the crying athlete at the podium announcing his retirement at 39 years old should be a happy moment. We should all be so lucky to retire at 39 years old. I know Brett said it was never about the money but I guess his agent had other ideas. For most of Brett's career he was paid amongst the top five at his position including the 11 million he made last season. So spare me the " it was never about the money speech".

So goodbye Brett and cheers to a great career and all the football memories. I'm sure we'll see you in broadcasting very soon.

No comments: